Wanted to write my thoughts on @Mat getting hacked and how something I have been doing has helped me as well. http://jd7.org/UlG
1. Buy a domain name for your email
Go to: Namecheap.com or Hover.com or even Godaddy.com > Just make sure you get private whois! Sign up for the service using an email used for nothing else!
~$10/year – 10mins of time
2. Create a free google apps account (honestly you could just have the domain forward to another email with out doing this part but I like google apps)
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/standard/ its free up to 10 users
Free – 5mins
3. Create a Catchall email address
4. Create a LastPass account
https://lastpass.com/ - its free, secure, and you just need to use it!
create your account with another different email and a strong password that you will remember.
Free – 2mins
5. Setup Google Authenticator with your google apps account.
Free – 2mins
6. Go to your much loved services (twitter, facebook, etc.) and create a unique email for everyone one of them.
[email protected] > will go to your main email address on google apps.
use lastpass to create a password for [email protected] that will be used on your twitter account.
Free – Depends on how many accounts you have
In Closing this is a fast poorly written post that I just wanted to get out there on one would have multiple emails for each service and be able to manage them all with out having to login to each and every account to check them.
Hope you enjoy and stay safe!
PS. Backup your files too! I know you have been meaning to.